Skip to content
Category: Other Facts
- Every player starts with $1,500 in the game of Monopoly.
- The middle day of a non-leap year is July 2.
- The Mississippi river is known as “The Father of Waters.”
- Sherlock Holmes has a smarter brother named Mycroft.
- The nickname of Alcatraz Prison is “The Rock.”
- The Olympic was the sister ship of the Titanic.
- You are considered an idiot if your IQ is below 25.
- The World Trade Center in New York has 43,600 windows.
- There are 42 dots on a pair of dice.
- The first thing Queen Victoria did after her coronation was to remove her bed from her mother’s room.
- If it’s so important to be strapped in, why don’t the airlines add a shoulder strap to the one that restrains you at the waist? Well, where would such a strap for an aisle seat be anchored? The one in your car is fastened to the floor and the wall. Second, shoulder straps in cars are there to protect against sudden stops. If you ever experience that on a plane, no strap is likely to save you. In fact, turning all of the seats on the plane backwards would provide the same protection that shoulder straps would offer. I suspect this hasn’t been done because airlines do enough things backwards as it is.
- Elzie Crisler Segar created the comic strip character Popeye in 1919.
- Some hotels in Las Vegas have gambling tables floating in their swimming pools.
- The Associated Press reported in December 1985, in Eugene, Oregon, a 6-month-old kitten set a Christmas tree on fire while batting at the lighted bulbs. The heat of the fire cracked a nearby fishbowl, and water from the bowl doused some of the fire. Firefighters arrived within minutes of the fire starting and put out the fire, which had spread to the carpet. A goldfish named Clyde was found lying prone in the cracked bowl, and when put into another bowl with water, was quickly revived and survived the ordeal. The water in Clyde’s bowl had prevented the fire from getting out of control.